Vote.com depressing outcomes

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Sep 17 06:25:08 PDT 2001

btw, where the hell is IAN. been meaning to ask. i know he was in Seattle area. hope he's on vaca...

At 11:40 PM 9/16/01 -0500, Christopher Susi wrote:

>You make some good points that I agree with, and some I don't. However my
>original motivation was in reply was to a post that had a very sarcastic
>(unfortunately that's not quite the word I want - but I suffer from aphasia
>now) feel to it. What was the quote again? "All it takes is good old
>fashioned nationalism to convert them all to ruling class ideologies." I
>read that as "fuck you proleteriat sheep".

well, day in and day out, cyberlibertarians go on about how stupid the sheeple are and blame them for buying into all sort of claptrap that the cyberlibertarians don't like, yes? it's a prominent theme at dc-stuff and cypherpunks, yes? if you can show me how people on dc-stuff and cypherpunks aren't saying "fuck you proletariat sheep" (with the writer implicitly claiming that s/he isn't a sheeple) please do.

as i said to you a long time ago: since Plato, at least, social theory has contained an implicit claim: that most people can't see reality, that it's obscured from them (shadows, cave wall bizzo...) and that a social theory or social practice or membership in a community of faith will allow them to see the light. there's always a fuck you sheeple element to these kinds of discussions and no group of people who think they have a way of explaining reality to themselves and to others escape it.