71% support War

Gary Bramstedt gbfoto at best.com
Mon Sep 17 14:40:27 PDT 2001

kelley wrote:

> Poll Says 71 Percent in U.S. Ready for War Casualties
> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Around 71 percent of American voters are ready to
> see the United States go to war against countries which ``harbor or aid
> terrorists'' even if it means suffering substantial U.S. casualties,
> according to a Reuters/Zogby poll released on Monday.
> But the poll of 1,018 regi... [read on]
> - By Alan Elsner, Reuters, Yahoo News
> (9/17/2001)
>
> http://www.zogby.com/soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=3894

glb wrote:

In the late '60's i worked at one of the air cargo facilities at SFO. A few times a day trucks from the an Oakland Army facility would pull up & we would fork-lift the grey-painted wood coffin boxes, often running out of spaces to store them. Every day. LIFE magazine devoted an issue to the US war dead during the week; the individual photos filled that issue. By then a majority of America had said, "Enough". The realization of suffering substantial U.S. casualties changes a lot of attitudes.

My question is, does this administration think the public is over the "Vietnam Syndrome"? (Not wanting to accept casualties, by my understanding...) Possibly, considering that a large percentage weren't around to witness it??

On another subject, those of you who think that "business" does a better job than "the govnment" be reminded that all passengers in the US go thru "private business" security check points, unlike many other countries.