71% support War

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Sep 18 00:16:12 PDT 2001

At 02:40 PM 9/17/01 -0700, Gary Bramstedt wrote:

>My question is, does this administration think the public is over the
>"Vietnam Syndrome"? (Not wanting to accept casualties, by my
>understanding...) Possibly, considering that a large percentage weren't
>around to witness it??

the reason why i sent it was to make the Pope exceedingly happy. :)

actually, I think it's good news that only 71% of the population supports war, don't you? compare that to the numbers who supported war once we declared war in the Gulf. two differences, of course. 1. the PR campaign had been churning for months by the time we were prepared to invade. and 2. we already suffered civilian deaths, unlike the Gulf

i think that the Shrub et al are aware of USer's trepidation and i'd guess that the relatively low numbers in support for war was a reflection of the Vietnam Syndrome...and more. Afterall, these weren't soldiers who died by civilians going about their business and that scares a lot of people since if they've thought much about it all, they know that there isn't a whole lot we can do to stop terrorism without accepting a whole lot of constraints on our daily lives.

>On another subject, those of you who think that "business" does a better
>job than "the govnment" be reminded that all passengers in the US go thru
>"private business" security check points, unlike many other countries.

wracking me pea brain to figure out who here thinks this?!