National Review on Empire

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Tue Sep 18 07:21:41 PDT 2001

Hi,

The error here--seeing any critique of modernism as "valid"-- is also circulating in other left circles where some postmodern pundits see any attack on globalized culture as progressive. I am growing my beard in rapt anticipation... (not).

This also explains why Nader works with business nationalists such as Buchanan, Milliken, and Schlafly.

Critiques of this idiocy include:

Antonio, Robert. (2000). “After Postmodernism: Reactionary Tribalism.” American Journal of Sociology, vol. 106, no. 1, pp. 40–87.

Rupert, Mark. (1997). “Globalization and the Reconstruction of Common Sense in the US.” In Stephen Gill and James H. Mittelman (Eds.), Innovation and Transformation in International Studies. New York: Cambridge University Press.

Scatamburlo, Valerie L. (1998). Soldiers of Misfortune: The New Right’s Culture War and the Politics of Political Correctness. Counterpoints series, Vol. 25. New York: Peter Lang.

This is why we put up the Sucker Punch pages:

http://www.publiceye.org/Sucker_Punch/Clueless.html

Including a link to Rupert's article at:

http://www.maxwell.syr.edu/maxpages/faculty/merupert/Research/COX.HTM

-Chip

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Jannuzi" <jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 1:42 AM Subject: Re: National Review on Empire