National Review on Empire

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Mon Sep 17 22:42:18 PDT 2001

>>As Alan Wolfe shows in a
> devastating review in next week's issue, Hardt and Negri reject the notion
> that Islamic fundamentalism is backward-looking, arguing instead that,
like
> the anti-globalization movement, it is 'postmodern.<<

If I remember correctly from reading the book, they do argue that Islamic, Christian and other fundamentalisms are part of the post-modern episteme. This idea may well have been around before. I think I may have seen something like that in something written by Guattari, too.

So I guess the real reactionaries are the Bushes trying to take America back to its modernist core.

Charles Jannuzi