National Review on Empire

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Mon Sep 17 22:07:46 PDT 2001

http://www.thenewrepublic.com/092401/trb092401.html

Michael P., for me the New Republic can be as wacky as some of the stuff you post. Here, the young editor Peter Beinart takes it out on the "anti-globalization" movement and writes

"Or consider the movement's new bible, Empire, by Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri. If, as U.S. government sources suggested as tnr went to press, Tuesday's attacks were the work of Osama bin Laden, then anti-globalization activists will make the obvious point that the principles that animate their struggle and those that animate bin Laden's are completely different. But, according to Empire, that's not so obvious at all. As Alan Wolfe shows in a devastating review in next week's issue, Hardt and Negri reject the notion that Islamic fundamentalism is backward-looking, arguing instead that, like the anti-globalization movement, it is 'postmodern.'"

Can hardly wait. I've read that the IMF and World Bank have cancelled their meetings so that security forces can focus elsewhere.

Peter