hoax?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 18 20:29:48 PDT 2001

[posted from non-sub'd address]

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:17:41 -0400 To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com From: Jim Westrich <nodimension at mediaone.net>

First, thanks to Kelley for a comprehensive websearch on the matter.

Second, I originally read the story in the St. Paul Pioneer Press in an article by their media critic, Brian Lambert. http://www.pioneerplanet.com/news/ncl_docs/137030.htm

Third, it is not a hoax and I do not think "quasi-hoax" is a good description as I understand it. The memo with the songs that someone at Clear Channel "recommended" not be played was sent widely to station managers. This has been confirmed at more than two radio stations. Whether it was or was not "official CCC, Inc." policy is only PR spin and irrelevant.

For the full PR monty try (note the great PR technique of denying the existence of a "National banned list"--which is not the story--while deflating the real story into a feel good case of "hypersensitivity") http://content.clearchannel.com/corporate/article/Playlist-final.doc

Fourth, this is not that important of a story.

Finally, the list I sent to LBO-yack is a cleaned up list that I created myself from the text list published in the St. Paul Pioneer Press. My offer of an Excel spreadsheet of the list still stands.

As for what I am listening to: I found Tina Cousins' "Pray" very helpful last week. I also have a copy of Kid Loco's *Kill Your Darling's* that is pretty good (although not as good as older stuff).

Jim