Zizek weighs in

Ted Winslow egwinslow at home.com
Wed Sep 19 19:40:59 PDT 2001

Alec Ramsdell wrote:

> there still has been
> the urge towards understanding the disaster wholly in
> terms of some reified, evil, Ominous Agent, that must
> be terminated. Like David Horowitz blurting out last
> night on Politically Incorrect that OBL and Saddam
> Hussein need to be killed. As if that would change
> anything. The "ideological and fantasmatic
> coordinates" which determine *this* kind of perception
> are, as I read Zizek, generated or at least
> exacerbated by virtual capitalism's insulation from
> the very material traumas capital movement creates or
> contributes to elsewhere.

Aren't individuals characterized by the more extreme forms of paranoid perception to which you point more likely to be found in rural Idaho hoarding gold and manufacturing "colloidal silver" (first heard of this in an ad for a "colloidal silver generator" on a radio station mentioned in one of Michael's recent posts - I believe such stations also have a lot of material directed at gold bugs) than in the New York heartland of financial capital? These extreme forms are found in many parts of the world far removed from financial capital. I suspect their unconscious roots are exacerbated by direct experience of, as opposed to insulation from, "the very material traumas capital movement creates".

Ted