Zizek weighs in

Alec Ramsdell aramsdell at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 11:44:02 PDT 2001

Ted Winslow wrote:

> Aren't individuals characterized by the more
> extreme forms of paranoid
> perception to which you point more likely to be
> found in rural Idaho
> hoarding gold and manufacturing "colloidal silver"
> (first heard of this in
> an ad for a "colloidal silver generator" on a radio
> station mentioned in one
> of Michael's recent posts - I believe such stations
> also have a lot of
> material directed at gold bugs) than in the New York
> heartland of financial
> capital?

The geographical "heartland" does seem to provide more egregious examples, but I think Zizek's point is that the "ideological and fantasmatic coordinates" are the same, whether it's ads for "colloidal silver generators," or films like _Independence Day_--the same, too, regardless of the acting out.

These extreme forms are found in many
> parts of the world far
> removed from financial capital. I suspect their
> unconscious roots are
> exacerbated by direct experience of, as opposed to
> insulation from, "the
> very material traumas capital movement creates".

So would the question then be, what are the differences in those coordinates of perception around the world? How is it different for a bond broker in Chicago, a gold bug in Idaho, and someone who sees "America" as a foreign, imperialist land? (A host of other questions arises, about nationalism, religion, etc. . . .)

Alec

__________________________________________________ Terrorist Attacks on U.S. - How can you help? Donate cash, emergency relief information http://dailynews.yahoo.com/fc/US/Emergency_Information/