Civil Liberties

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Sep 19 20:00:23 PDT 2001

No, grasshopper. Since the odds are the same each time, you are no more likely to win if you play a million times than if you play once. If you play a million times, the likelihood of someone other than yourself winning is also multiplied a million times. One in a million and ten in ten million are the same odds.

mbs

No, Carrol's right. Although I'm not a number cruncher, it's quite clear that the probability of getting the non-white ball (or rolling a five) is far greater if you perform the experiment many times. Think of it this way: someone who plays the lottery often for the entirety of their life is more likely to win at some point (even though their odds don't increase with each succesive failure) than another person who buys a single ticket.

-- Luke