Civil Liberties

lweiger at umich.edu lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Sep 19 20:32:15 PDT 2001

Is that a reference my inscrutable habit of jumping from thread to thread? If so, it's a good one. I don't know if I can explain it any more clearly than I have, but I'll try again: you are no more likely to win in any individual (if I knew HTML, I would've italicized that) drawing by participating more often. Collectively, though, you are more likely to eventually win. However, if you're unlucky enough to go through 999,999 lotterys without a win, the millionth time is no more likely to be a charm. Even better than playing a million times would be purchasing every combination (discounting the fact that doing so generally results in a net loss of money on the purchaser's part).

(If you really want to have fun with probability, discuss the "three doors" problem sometime, which has made more than a few statistics profs look like asses.)

-- Luke