SZ on "Seattle"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 20 06:57:47 PDT 2001

I'm just now transcribing my interview with Slavoj Zizek, which will appear soon in Punk Planet. A lot of it is about the movement often identified in the U.S. with the word "Seattle," and a lot of what he had to say sounded a bit antique after September 11. I asked him to comment on that, and here's his answer:

>I think it is PRECISELY NOW - after the WTC collapse - that the
>"Seattle" task will regain its full urgency! After a period of
>retaliation-enthuisiasm, there will be a new (ideological)
>depression, and THAT point will be our chance!!!

Desperately seeking optimism,

Doug