diversity

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 20 20:12:27 PDT 2001

>From: "Max Sawicky" <sawicky at bellatlantic.net>
>
>I don't think that's right. If Brad found anti-imperialist
>views offensive he would never have been here in the first
>place, nor on PEN-L. What he didn't like was contending with
>or working his way through stupid remarks and tedious arguments.

Let's go to the videotape. When Brad said, "I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to drop out of this list. Too many ignorant fools, and its pushing me rightward into a place where I don't want to be" -- this is what he was responding to, the proximal reason for his scurrying off the list:

>From: "Carl Remick" <carlremick at hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: (no subject)
>Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:57:21
>
>>Ah. Now we're getting into "Their Morals and Ours" territory... Is it
>>more immoral for the United States to issue an ultimatum to
>>Afghanistan (if it is indeed Osama bin Laden's group that is
>>responsible) and to follow through (if bin Laden and company are not
>>delivered) with massive retaliation (and thus to kill innocent
>>civilians by the office-tower-load)? Or is it more immoral not to
>>take actions that kill yet more innocent civilians by the
>>office-tower-load, and thus to teach every fanatic for the next
>>century that large-scale terrorism is a really effective way of
>>getting the world's attention, and has little downside, and so set
>>the table for even more massive civilian casualties in the more
>>distant future?
>>
>>I don't know the answer. One reason I do economics and not political
>>science is that even thinking about such questions leaves me
>>profoundly depressed...
>>
>>Brad DeLong
>
>This is one of the most revealing comments I've seen you make, Brad.
>Something that fascinates me about economics is the abstraction that is
>involved and the way that aids in sanitizing capitalism's basic grubbiness
>and insulating the observer from the sheer brutality that fills the
>marketplace. You guys seem content just to twiddle with your globalistic
>formulas -- math is the fun part, as you say -- and set them loose in the
>field via outfits like the IMF; then, boom!, when the natives revolt and
>Indonesia is torn apart or the WTC/Pentagon is blown up, the political
>scientists are left with the hard work, tackling thorny moral problems that
>never should have arisen in the first place.
>
>Carl

Now, I'll let you numbers jocks get back to that fascinating and oh so timely thread on probability theory that has had you so engrossed.

Carl