diversity

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Sep 20 13:56:04 PDT 2001

>This is one of the most revealing comments I've seen you make, Brad.
>Something that fascinates me about economics is the abstraction that is
>involved and the way that aids in sanitizing capitalism's basic grubbiness
>and insulating the observer from the sheer brutality that fills the
>marketplace. You guys seem content just to twiddle with your globalistic
>formulas -- math is the fun part, as you say -- and set them loose in the
>field via outfits like the IMF; then, boom!, when the natives revolt and
>Indonesia is torn apart or the WTC/Pentagon is blown up, the political
>scientists are left with the hard work, tackling thorny moral problems that
>never should have arisen in the first place. >Carl

Now, I'll let you numbers jocks get back to that fascinating and oh so timely thread on probability theory that has had you so engrossed. Carl

mbs: Well I have to say your comment applies to many economists, political scientists, historians, and podiatrists, but it does not apply well to Brad, which could explain it as a proximate cause.

As to numbers jocks & probability theory, I always buy 20 tickets when the Powerball jackpot gets really high.