Shrub talks, Cheney watches on TV: Operation Infinite Patriarchy?

RE ipadavic at mailer.fsu.edu
Fri Sep 21 05:54:18 PDT 2001

Regarding dissent, I agree with Carrol, I've been greatly heartened by what I've seen. So far, in my public haunts, net and otherwise, 'nuke the bastards' is very much in the minority, and challenging responses often go beyond antiracist/let's not act like them terms to refer to US mideast policy.

I've never accepted propagandistic attempts to equate guerrilas with terrorists, and I'm still uneasy with using the term. However, it seems to me that over the past decade or so there has emerged among some Islamic radical groups a doctrine that emphasizes attacks on civilians. Here I look to Algeria as the most horrible example of this, and in a sense may remain so even now. My guess is that this reflects the prototerrorist's view that military and governmental personnel are too hard to get at effectively and that, faced with this strategic problem, a further process of dehumanization of the opponent, rationalized with reference to your own civilian losses and religious ideas, has occurred. To the dead, it makes no difference if a doctrine breezily accepts civilian deaths as collateral damage, as has been the case in US policy towards Iraqi children, or if the doctrine specifically targets civilians as a society's jugular. But I think there is a difference.

as I've tried to say in other posts, I am greatly troubled by the apparent lack of internal limits to this doctrine. This may well go beyond something like the Taliban have talked about, the obligation to jihad to defend a weak country. Over the years it's become apparent to me that a significant part of the reaction of radical Islam to the US has had a cultural dimension, and central to that would be anxieties over loss of control over women. It is certainly a possibility that if US support for Israeli expansionism was not so unconditional, none of this would be going on; I would argue that any acceptable solution to the current crisis demands changes in US policy. But I think the threat posed by the institutions and media of the West to the in tensely feudal/patriarchal order that these guys glorify tends to supercharge the conflict for them. It hits them at their core, and encourages a more apocalyptic vision of a solution. So for some of them it might be Operation Infinite Patriarchy. I think that saying this doesn't buy into Bush propaganda about 'the threat to freedom,' which is obviously aimed at avoiding discussions of Mideast policy, and which also holds the possibility of apocalyptic solutions. But, from the standpoint of trying to decide what to call these people, I do think that at least *some* of these groups have put together a 'package' of strategy and rationalizations that legitimizes the steady, potentially massive targeting of civilians, and that merits the term terrorism. Randy Earnest