Shrub talks, Cheney watches on TV: Operation Infinite Patriarchy?

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Fri Sep 21 07:49:31 PDT 2001

But
> I think the threat posed by the institutions and media of the West
to the in
> tensely feudal/patriarchal order that these guys glorify tends to
> supercharge the conflict for them. It hits them at their core, and
> encourages a more apocalyptic vision of a solution. So for some of
them it
> might be Operation Infinite Patriarchy. I think that saying this
doesn't
> buy into Bush propaganda about 'the threat to freedom,' which is
obviously
> aimed at avoiding discussions of Mideast policy, and which also
holds the
> possibility of apocalyptic solutions. But, from the standpoint of
trying to
> decide what to call these people, I do think that at least *some*
of these
> groups have put together a 'package' of strategy and
rationalizations that
> legitimizes the steady, potentially massive targeting of civilians,
and that
> merits the term terrorism.
> Randy Earnest

============== Thank you, Randy.

One question I do have is whether, because too much of our info is filtered through western media, patterns of behavior that are intelligible to radicals in the ME, are made to seem unintelligible to us for obvious reasons. Clearly the assassination of Sadat was not terrorism, and the case of Algeria should provide us with a strong counterfactual in at least a few analytical contexts. Because we usually think of revolutionary activity in terms of the state, perhaps we're missing something that is potentially important. The civilian dead that result from the attacks in that part of the planet, while they're no one in particular to "us", may be considered important enough to merit targeting in the eyes of those who carry out the attacks. In that sense, the constructing of a sense of randomness by media ideologues serves a purpose; under no circumstances is the behavior of theologically motivated anti-imperialism and other indirect and direct strategies of political destabilization to be seen as intelligible or rational. I just wonder how many people in DC and tv land have Huntington's "Clash of Civilizations" on their nightstand because "containing" Islamic radicalism is going to be *very* expensive, the use of the word infinite, in this context, being totally scary. Good thing they didn't call it operation "eternal justice". I'm not for one second denying terror, I just don't think it's an ism--that it's an end in and of itself either in the Mid East or Central Asia. Perhaps we need to look more closely how the term is used for places like India and Pakistan etc. in order to unbundle the contexts in which the term is bandied about and manipulated.

Ian