Shrub talks, Cheney watches on TV: Operation Infinite Patriarchy?

Randy Earnest earnest at tallynet.com
Fri Sep 21 08:54:37 PDT 2001

Good points, Ian, especially with regard to the immense reification involved in terror'ism,' which can lead directly into talk of "Evil" and "death cultures." In terms of popular images, I've been drawn to thinking about the film -- can't recall the name of it -- with Clooney and Kidman about a Bosnian's attempt to detonate a mirv warhead component in New York. In the film, he's portrayed as a sensitive man of culture who is driven more or less mad with grief over the death of his wife and daughter in a sniper attack. He and his associates formulate the plot because they feel that the world must no longer ignore what is happening in his country. The portrayal, as I recall, made some empathy with the guy inescapable, he wasn't a 'bad guy,' he just had to be stopped, and at the same time he could be understood. Of course, the last shot in the film has Clooney looking at Kidman in the national security agency pool, and the two of them aren't talking about what must be done in Bosnia. Randy Earnest