Gitlin on the student peace movement

pms laflame at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 21 09:55:16 PDT 2001

They could actually secure the airports and planes, investigate the rash of claims by people that their identities have been mentioned as those of dead terrorists and start paying attention. They could wage a campaign to support economic and democratic development in the region and discredit dictatorial fundementalism. They can find out who done it, and arrest them. Try them. Discredit their ideas. Recognize and admit that grave missteps in policy were made in the name of Anti-Communism and Realpolitick, and that these policies supported the likes of Saddamn, Pakistani extremists, Noriega, that Unita guy, caused great suffering of civilians and distorted the evolution of civil society. They could admit that attacking governments that didn't kiss corporate ass, like in Iran in the fifties, did great harm to whole populations and contributed to the current situation. They could secure all those nuclear facilities. That's a start on my wish list anyway.

Rube-a-doob-doob Paula

ps when you think about it, anti-Communism, which morphed into the anti-big gov, deregulation, privatization-to-screw-labor thing, is the reason this country did not have top-notch airport security. just another service we don't get from our gov, like day-care and healthcare

Watch the Black-hole where the money goes.