Yoshie or Doug, others? Re: Gitlin on the student peace movement

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 21 11:46:54 PDT 2001

>Yoshie, Doug, or others who've been to meetings for mobilization,
>
>Is there discussion or a strategy for dealing with the Buchananites,
>isolationists, etc. in the emerging anti-war movement? The Globe article I
>read the other day tried to make it out as a pretty ideologically muddled
>anti-war movement emerging, i.e. "both right and left"...
>are there strategies discussed about how to counter/handle that type of
>media frame?
>
>Steve

In our local organizing against the impending war, those who are isolationists, Buchananites, etc. have not shown up at any of our meetings yet. During the NATO attacks on Yugoslavia, I asked the same question to Carrol, & he told me that drawing up a brief principle of unity with emphasis on the importance of anti-racism & using agreement to it as the criterion of inclusion (so to speak) would help organizers exclude the ideologically committed right-wingers, without excluding ordinary not-yet-so-politicized Americans who might have isolationist impulses (= the kind to whom Michael Moore for instance has tried to appeal) today but could move onto better ideas in the process of activism.

Yoshie