Yoshie or Doug, others? Re: Gitlin on the student peace movement

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Fri Sep 21 13:45:11 PDT 2001

At 07:59 AM 9/21/01 -1000, Stephen E Philion wrote:
>Yoshie, Doug, or others who've been to meetings for mobilization,
>
>Is there discussion or a strategy for dealing with the Buchananites,
>isolationists, etc. in the emerging anti-war movement? The Globe article I
>read the other day tried to make it out as a pretty ideologically muddled
>anti-war movement emerging, i.e. "both right and left"...
>are there strategies discussed about how to counter/handle that type of
>media frame?

we had the same thing during Gulf, btw. no discussion b/c they are part of the group. that's that. demonizing and treating one another like crap right now is not needed. in the back of my mind, though, i'm remembering when things got heated during one meeting and i imagine we'd follow the example of the group i was involved with in the past: when they get carried away with the anti-semitic yahoos, they're out.

i don't get your question about the media. who gives a bat's eyelash. the national media does what it wants; the only thing you can do is work with your locals. meet with the editor, become human to them: intelligent, reasonable, cognizant of the issues, sensitive to the impact of the event. get decent, local coverage as much as possible.

i agree with carrol: the line to take now is we have no business mucking around in another country until we know who did this. (we're not even trying to bang the Just Say No to Imperialism Drum until we have to)

my thought: make effigies of feds that look like the keystone kops.

kelley