Yoshie or Doug, others? Re: Gitlin on the student peace movement

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Fri Sep 21 15:59:18 PDT 2001

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001, kelley wrote:

> At 07:59 AM 9/21/01 -1000, Stephen E Philion wrote:
> >Yoshie, Doug, or others who've been to meetings for mobilization,
> >
> >Is there discussion or a strategy for dealing with the Buchananites,
> >isolationists, etc. in the emerging anti-war movement? The Globe article I
> >read the other day tried to make it out as a pretty ideologically muddled
> >anti-war movement emerging, i.e. "both right and left"...
> >are there strategies discussed about how to counter/handle that type of
> >media frame?

Kelly responded:>

<>
> i don't get your question about the media. who gives a bat's eyelash. the
> national media does what it wants; the only thing you can do is work with
> your locals. meet with the editor, become human to them: intelligent,
> reasonable, cognizant of the issues, sensitive to the impact of the event.
> get decent, local coverage as much as possible.

Well, it matters if they are misreporting a movement as being evenly comprised of 'left and right' when the left is largely responsible for the movement and has no stock in the racism or isolationism of a Pat Buchanan. One of the ways the media tries to discredit a movement is by providinng the role of 'leader' to people whose 'leadership' in a movement consist primarily of putting out a press release. I agree with the gist of your comments. I don't think the effigy idea is a wise one, but maybe you're just being facetious?

--Steve