Identity of Hijackers

Tom Walker timework at vcn.bc.ca
Sat Sep 22 08:33:06 PDT 2001

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-092101probe.story

Red herring, anyone?

from an another time, another place:

>Let us take, as an example, the problem of Chechnya. The Russians have
>argued that the bombing in Moscow was carried out by terrorists from
>Chechnya. Some people have serious doubts about that and believe that it
was >carried out by Russian Mafia to encourage the invasion of Chechnya.

Text of Yeltsin address on Moscow bombings

MOSCOW, Sept 13 (Reuters) - President Boris Yeltsin urged Russians on Monday to remain calm after a Moscow apartment block blast killed at least 45 people. He vowed a tough, swift response. Following is the text of his televised address to the nation (translation by Reuters, about 350 words):

Today, a day of mourning, a new disaster hit us. There has been another explosion with more victims. Another night-time blast in Moscow. Terrorism has declared war on us, the people of Russia.

I have given already the necessary orders. An anti-terrorist operations headquarters has started working with Interior Minister (Vladimir) Rushailo as its head. He will coordinate the actions of the Interior Ministry and other security bodies.

We are living amid a dangerous spread of terrorism and that demands the uniting of all forces in society and the state to repel this internal enemy.

This enemy does not have a conscience, shows no sorrow and is without honour. It has no face, nationality or belief. Let me stress -- no nationality, no belief.

The struggle with terrorism cannot remain merely the business of police and special services. The situation makes us face the tough need to show willpower and unite our forces. Power should be consolidated in the face of this terrible threat.

Federal and regional bodies should work as a united body. The government, parliament and president's administration should work as a well-coordinated machine.

I am paying a special attention to repelling terrorist attacks in Moscow. We understand how difficult it is now for the Moscow city authorities, for mayor) Yuri Mikhailovich Luzhkov. I will give him all the help and support he needs in these difficult days.

Respected citizens, I deeply mourn for those who have died and express my condolences to their relatives and friends. Our pain is immeasurable but I ask all of you to be self-controlled.

The main aim of the bandits is to scare people and spread panic. I am sure they will not live to see this. The best response to the terrorists will be your vigilance and calm.

Today it depends on each of you how effective the fight with this evil will be. The authorities will reply to the bandits' challenge in an adequate, tough, swift and decisive way.

• On July 20, 1998, the IMF deposited $4.8 billion in Russia's Central Bank.

• About that time, Russian banks, some under the control of government

officials, were tipped off to the Kremlin's plan to devalue the ruble.

• The banks and government officials, who had purchased high-interest, short-term treasury notes issued by the government and known as GKOs, began selling them before the devaluation would drastically reduce their value.

• The banks took their ruble proceeds from the sales of the notes - including the proceeds earned by the government officials - and exchanged them for dollars from Russia's Central Bank. Some of the dollars in the Central Bank's reserves were from that IMF deposit.

• The banks then transferred the dollars to overseas banks.

• On Aug. 17, 1998, the ruble collapsed, leaving the GKOs held by the Central Bank nearly worthless. Meanwhile, the IMF money was effectively gone.

"These people were tipped off, (they) speculated, cashed out and pocketed the difference," a U.S. investigator said. "It was not an accident." Tom Walker Bowen Island, BC 604 947 2213