SZ on "Seattle"

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Sep 22 09:21:15 PDT 2001

What seems like many moons ago:

>At 09:57 AM 9/20/01 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>>I'm just now transcribing my interview with Slavoj Zizek, which will
>>appear soon in Punk Planet. A lot of it is about the movement often
>>identified in the U.S. with the word "Seattle," and a lot of what he had
>>to say sounded a bit antique after September 11. I asked him to comment on
>>that, and here's his answer:
>>
>>>I think it is PRECISELY NOW - after the WTC collapse - that the "Seattle"
>>>task will regain its full urgency! After a period of
>>>retaliation-enthuisiasm, there will be a new (ideological) depression,
>>>and THAT point will be our chance!!!
>>
>i'm trying to figure out what he thinks retaliation will look like.
>
>kelley

Sorta like the gulf war? I bet the IMF/WB DC protests would have been huge. The ruling class avoided a PR disaster. But, I don't think the WTC/Pentagon tragedy will cause the global movement to go away. I've met Punk Planet's editor and he seems like a genuinely good, knowledgable guy. He has a new book out full of PP interviews. He did a book tour with a guy from DC who cowrote a book on the history of the DC punk scene.

Peter