SZ on "Seattle"

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Sat Sep 22 10:01:34 PDT 2001

At 11:21 AM 9/22/01 -0500, Peter K. wrote:

> >i'm trying to figure out what he thinks retaliation will look like.
> >
> >kelley
>

>Sorta like the gulf war? I bet the IMF/WB DC protests would have been huge.
>The ruling class avoided a PR disaster. But, I don't think the WTC/Pentagon
>tragedy will cause the global movement to go away. I've met Punk Planet's
>editor and he seems like a genuinely good, knowledgable guy. He has a new
>book out full of PP interviews. He did a book tour with a guy from DC who
>cowrote a book on the history of the DC punk scene.
>
>Peter

my guess: we're where we were at went we went to korea, except that it will be special ops forces and virtually no media coverage and what we do get will be hideously filtered.

the difference between fighting a low-grade flu where you go to work everyday for two weeks and just feel down vs. having a raging, delirious fever where you sweat it out over 24 hrs.

if this is like Korea, then the anti-____ movement today may well be like the civil rights struggle of the 50s was to the 60s/70s struggles against war, racism, sexism, etc. but, as Doug McAdam points out in Freedom Summer, the civil rights struggle was important to those later movements because it provided, among other things, the social movement infrastructure and organizational resources that would form the foundation of later, more radical protests.

the problem is, if a struggle is to be successful, then we want to prevent the Gulf of Tonkin incident altogether or, at least, respond to it more swiftly and critically and loudly.

"we" will also have to consider that, if this is a long haul, we need to respond to the "next gen" a little differently and be prepared to be seen as some of "this gen" see the old farts from the 60s.

:)

kelley