Bush approval highest in Gallup history

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:30:10 PDT 2001

>Can't speak for the others, but my reaction to Rudy was based largely
>on his apparent evolution, however temporary, into a human being.
>Gone was the swaggering hateful prosecutor, and in his place was
>someone who looked pained, empathic, tolerant. He wasn't acting like
>a Leader, in other words.
>
>Doug

I didn't watch the whole memorial prayer service that was broadcast on TV last night, but I did catch the opening portion and must say that Rudy, with his repeated "e pluribus unum" theme, was a more inspiring figure than the religious leaders I saw. In addition, the mayor does have good taste in music; the singing of his favorite hymn, "Ave Maria," was quote moving. Nonetheless, I remain concerned about where all this pro-Giuliani sentiment is heading. E.g., this news item I just saw: "Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who is barred by term limits from running for re-election this fall, is trying to extend his term, a source close to the mayor told The Associated Press on Monday."

Carl