SUVs

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Sep 24 10:09:13 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >At the kick-off meeting Friday night of the Bloomington-Normal Citizens
> >for Peace and Justice there were a number of SUVs in the parking lot of
> >the church where we met.
> >
> >Do any of the SUV-hating LBO subscribers have any comment?
>
> Hate the vehicle not the driver, I say.

I agree completely -- but my memory of the lbo thread I referred to was that quite a few people were bad-mouthing the drivers. Incidentally, I would also resist attacks on the _people_ who are rallying behind Bush and genocide. My rough principle is that people have a right to believe both their leaders and their general culture, and that it is the business of the left not to make moral judgments of the people but to build an atmosphere in which they have other leaders and other cultural atmospheres to respond to.

Carrol