student who loses friend doesn't want war

Stephen E Philion philion at hawaii.edu
Tue Sep 25 09:19:02 PDT 2001

>From today's Minnesota Daily, the college paper at U-Minn.

Student loses friend in attack

I had a close friend who was on Flight 11, one of the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center. I am very angry about it, but IÕm not sure who to be angry with. I donÕt think itÕs as simple as the Bush is trying to make it.

ThatÕs why I generally agree with Scott LadermanÕs opinion in last ThursdayÕs Daily (ÒMake no mistake: America far from innocent,Ó Sept. 20). IÕm angry, but I donÕt think we need to lose so many lives to handle this terrorism. LadermanÕs view is idealistic, but why does ÒidealisticÓ always mean it has to be impossible?

I canÕt decide if I want a war. I think there is a smaller, less showy way to handle this. So many people who live in Afghanistan are going to die, and they are slaves to the Taliban, these freaky fucks who took over their country without anyoneÕs consent. These people there, most of them donÕt even like bin Laden! But we are going to kill them.

I bet bin laden isnÕt even there anymore; 10,000 people escaped before they closed the gates out of the country. It just seems like Bush is trying to put on a military show to satisfy the angry people here who want to kill everyone over there whether they had anything to with it or not. I definitely think they could take care of this with less military and fewer civilians being killed.

IÕm for patriotism and honoring my country, but IÕm sick of hearing the military people talk about how they are ready to go over there and kill everyone. Just because you are in the military doesnÕt mean you canÕt think logically. My boyfriend is in the reserves and I donÕt want him to die in a war that is self-serving to the President and his campaign.

Cara Flora, senior, journalism