No Baghdad Connection

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Tue Sep 25 11:36:49 PDT 2001

the israeli press is also pooh-poohing claims of iraq's involvement, per mossad sources. but they're pointing a finger now at iran.

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Kevin Robert Dean Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2001 1:18 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: No Baghdad Connection

This Bangladeshi newssource seems to contradicts Jane's story that Iraq was somehow involved. It also seems to contradict The Age's story (found here: http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/2001/09/24/FFX525EQXRC.html entitled "Army alert by Iraq regime suggests Baghdad links")

'No Baghdad connection'

http://www.dailystarnews.com/200109/24/n1092401.htm#BODY11

Reuters, Jerusalem

The chief of Israeli military intelligence said in an interview published yesterday he saw no signs that Iraq was involved in the September 11 attacks in the United States.

"I don't see a direct link between Iraq and the hijackings and terror attacks in the United States," Major-General Amos Malka, concurring with US assessments, told Israel's Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper.

"I know many people are wondering whether this kind of attack could be carried out without the help of a country and they immediately point at Iraq or Iran," Malka said.

"But as far as intelligence is concerned, I cannot point at the moment to a connection. There is no Iraqi angle or infrastructure that we can point to at this stage."

Last week, a US intelligence office, asked how strong the evidence was that Iraq was behind the attacks against the World Trade Center in New York and the Pentagon in Washington, said: "Not very, at this time. We're still looking but not very."

"The United States has named Osama bin Laden, a wealthy Saudi-born dissident who allegedly operates a network of Islamic militants from exile in Afghanistan, the prime suspect in the attacks and has said he is wanted "dead or alive."

In the past week, Israelis have been speculating that Washington might attack Iraq as part of its declared war against global terrorism and that Baghdad would fire Scud missiles at Israel as it did in the 1991 Gulf War.

The Israeli army reported over the past days an increase in demand at gas mask distribution centres in operation since the 1991 conflict. Israeli military planners feared at the time Iraq would launch Scuds with chemical or biological warheads.

In the interview, Malka said there was no reason for Israelis to panic "and run to refresh their gas mask kits."

He forecast that Iraqi President Saddam Hussein would target Israel only as a last resort and would be wary of exposing now "what he has tried to hide for the past 10 years," a reference to Scud missiles and launchers.

"But if he feels that the noose is tightening around his neck, he might take steps that would put us in the picture," Malka said.

http://www.dailystarnews.com/200109/24/n1092401.htm#BODY11

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com