Anti-Terrorism Act to Cover Computer "Crime"

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Tue Sep 25 11:25:54 PDT 2001

The Anti-Terrorism Act redefines most so-called computer crimes as acts of terrorism to be punished with life imprisonment without possibility of parole.

See http://www.securityfocus.com/news/257

Personally, I'm all for caning people who launch viruses, but defining such mischief as "terrorism" -- on the same footing as the World Trade Center attack -- is extreme, not to mention ridiculous.

Ashcroft defends his proposals; "I don't believe that our definition of terrorism is so broad," said Ashcroft. "It is broad enough to include things like assaults on computers, and assaults designed to change the purpose of government."

So, don't hack and don't try to change the purpose of government. You have been warned.

-- John K. Taber