Anti-Terrorism Act to Cover Computer "Crime"

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Tue Sep 25 12:00:26 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "John K. Taber" <jktaber at tacni.net>

> The Anti-Terrorism Act redefines most so-called computer crimes
> as acts of terrorism to be punished with life imprisonment without
> possibility of parole.
>
> See http://www.securityfocus.com/news/257
>
> Personally, I'm all for caning people who launch viruses, but
> defining such mischief as "terrorism" -- on the same footing
> as the World Trade Center attack -- is extreme, not to mention
> ridiculous.
>
> Ashcroft defends his proposals; "I don't believe that our
> definition of terrorism is so broad," said Ashcroft. "It is
> broad enough to include things like assaults on computers,
> and assaults designed to change the purpose of government."
>
> So, don't hack and don't try to change the purpose of government.
> You have been warned.
>
> --
> John K. Taber
============= Will spam be considered an assault on computers?

"Terrorism is the unlawful use of force or violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives." --FBI Definition < http://www.terrorism.com/index.shtml >

Are we now to add computation or computer code next to the word force above?

Ian