"Cause" vs. "Justified" (was: Re: Hitchens responds to critics)

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Wed Sep 26 17:23:25 PDT 2001

At 06:59 PM 9/26/01 -0400, Nathan Newman wrote:

>As for cutting my losses, sorry, in this case I see a really insulated set
>of leftists who, despite empirical evidence of massive public rejection of
>any attempt to "explain" 9-11, act as if of course there is such a useful
>explanation. Almost every major statement issued by every broad coalition
>has avoided making such "explanations" for very good reasons, because they
>understand exactly how such statements will be understood by the public.

no nathan. people do want to know why this happened. some have accepted the idea that it is the doing of the evil bin laden. some are saying that it is all about muslim fundamentalism. some are of the mind that we have weak intelligence because of Clintonism. some people believe that others simply hate us. some people figure that once you're the biggest and most powerful country on earth, you will have enemies just because that's the order of things. etc. these are the explanations that the media has been circulating. this is the explanation that the shrubs have circulated. they seem undaunted by the notion that people don't want an explantion.

people just don't appreciate structuralist explanations. and that has _always_ been the case with regard to most of the theories leftist advance for understanding the world around us.

you have no evidence that people don't want an explanation, nor do you even have evidence that people don't want to hear left explanations. what you have are the scribblings of the scribbling class scribbling at one another.

kelley