Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics From

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Wed Sep 26 20:24:26 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Hanly" <khanly at mb.sympatico.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 7:47 PM Subject: Re: Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics From

> You cant validly convert propositions of the form All S are P. "All
those
> things that are the greatest evil are things done by those who
sincerely
> believe they are doing good" does not imply that all things done by
those
> who sincerely believe they are doing good are those things that are
the
> greatest evil.
>
> Cheers, Ken Hanly

====== Agree. My query was rhetorical. Einstein quipped that if he'd known the uses to which his knowledge would be put, he'd have quit and taken up farming or some such.............And CD refrained from publishing precisely because of the consequences for a theistic culture.

Ian