Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics From

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Wed Sep 26 21:05:07 PDT 2001

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Schaap" <rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 7:43 PM Subject: Re: Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics From

> Ah, but the set of unintended consequences (UC) is only a subset of
the set
> of evil outcomes (EO)
>
> er, make that 'intersecting set ...
=============== Ah, but EO we associate with intentionality, whether individual or collective. If suffering is the result of UC, then claiming evil is a form of "moralism" and grounds for the right to jump on the inadequacies of our analyses. It's only when we can demonstrate EO's are the result of deliberation and separate them from UC that we can invoke moral terms of condemnation and the like.

Ian