Thinking like Nathan

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 26 21:06:43 PDT 2001

Not easy, but I'm going to try:

ATTEMPT #1 -- Terrorism is not caused (or even really encouraged) by broader social forces and policies, therefore -- It must be the result of utterly random, spontaneous and isolated acts of personal "evil" (although the attacks take 5 years to plan and *happen* -- only coincidentally, mind you -- to originate in countries that suffer the tragedy of American diplomacy), therefore, -- There's nothing we can do about terrorism except 1) kill the terrorists, 2) huddle and wait for the next attack, or 3) subject the terrorists to exorcism -- Corollary: That stuff would solve the problem, why would we want to worry about changing U.S. foreign policy?

ATTEMPT #2 -- U.S. foreign policy doesn't breed terrorism, therefore, -- U.S. foreign policy, while sorta bad and causing a few deaths here and there, must not really piss people off -- they just kind of shrug and go on with their lives and never THINK of responding, therefore -- Wait a second, maybe U.S. foreign policy really isn't that bad...

Ok, I'm sorry, I just can't do it.

Nathan -- I know you've painted yourself into a corner, but you're welcome to come back to reality, any time buddy...

CK