Is the Taliban America's Frankenstein?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Sep 27 23:31:52 PDT 2001

> If such (= "the problem in Afghanistan has been not enough
> imperialism") is your view, you might as well advocate incorporating
> Afghanistan as the 51st member state of the United States. If "a
> true puppet" of the U.S. is better than the Northern Alliance, surely
> statehood is better than "a true puppet."
>
> Yoshie

Great. I'm all for a more inclusive union, but I rather doubt others are. Even better would be the incorporation of Afghanistan into the EU regardless of the fact that it's on a different continent. How very unfortunate that such idle hopes are doomed to be consigned to the historic dustbin of speculations that never came to anything.

-- Luke