ideologues (Re: Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchensresponds to critics

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Fri Sep 28 10:15:03 PDT 2001

At 12:28 AM 9/29/01 +0800, Jacob wrote:
>I consider voicing old grievances legitimate not to exonerate the
>terrorists, as you say, but as a counterbalance to the mainstream discourse
>of "good" vs "evil" and the idea that "they" hate "us" beause of an

Jacob, I did not say that every lelftier tried to exonerate terrorists, many did not - they just use it as an opporunity to propell their agenda. Again that was in a very poor taste - like a political harrangue at a funeral. Francis Wheen reports in a recently published biography of Karl Marx that learning about the death of Engels's girlfriend, the Old Man started harranguing his life-long friend about his own financial problems.

That almost ended their friendship. I think that such poor tast and lack of tactfulness is quite prominent on the left.

I found the media response to 9-11 quite palapable: not overy sensationalists, appealing for reason and restraint. Sure it was heavy on patriotism, flag waving, and religion, but these are normal human expressions of solodarity in times of struggle, uncertainty and disaster. If the point-headed lefties could not comprehend that basic fact, it is a sad commentary on how alienated they are from the concerns of common people.

This is it for today, I'm outta here for the weekend.

best regards to everyone taking his/her time to reply to my posts

wojtek