Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Sep 28 11:30:17 PDT 2001

>My overarching point is that Brzezinski, Bill Casey, and so on have
>a good deal to do with the flourishing of the muhajidin into a
>serious political force. I would not be so stupid as to declare that
>U.S. imperialism is directly responsible in umediated fashion for
>what happened on 9-11. To argue thus would be to indulge in a form
>of "ethnocentrism" (for lack of a better term) that the knee-jerk
>anti-imperialist left in the U.S. is often ironically guilty of.
>After all, class forces, political alignments, etc. in time/places
>like 1970's and 1980's Afghanistan were not the mere result of
>U.S./big power maneuvering. But I do think the U.S. role in aiding
>and abetting the likes of Bin Laden was important enought to warrant
>the use of the term "blowback". "Blowback" does not imply "just
>desserts".
>
>John Gulick

Well stated. Blowback, in Chalmers Johnson's own words, means "the _unintended_ consequences of U.S. policies _kept secret from the American people_" (emphasis mine, Chalmers Johnson, "The Consequences Of Our Actions Abroad: Americans Feeling the Effects of 'Blowback'" _Los Angeles Times_ 4 May 2000 at <http://www.commondreams.org/views/050400-103.htm>).

Yoshie