Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 29 11:51:29 PDT 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> >Ian, if I were to choose between finanzkapital and islamic fundamentalism,
> >I would not think twice before choosing the former. I think that most
> >people would make a similar choice. Only those who are completely blinded
> >by religious zeal or ideology would do otherwise.

This puts Wojtek solidly in the seminar room, wholly insulated from human interaction. It is only in the seminar that one can abstractly choose among alternatives without any sense whatever of the struggles and mass transformations which are a precondition or that choice having other than merely academic content. He speaks of world systems as though they were shirt colors one could select from the counters at Walmart.

Carrol