Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sat Sep 29 09:34:18 PDT 2001

Hi,

Sorry for not getting it before.

This does indeed make a whole lot more sense. Fundamentalism, which ostensible started in US Protestantism at the turn of the 19th to 20th century, was mainly focused on critiquing the mainstream Protestant denominations for failing to live up to the demands of the Bible. It also was a rejection of mainstream secular and materialist society.

Hitler repackaged many of the apocalyptic themes of this type of discourse into a secular vision of a new millennium (Thousand Year Reich). See: Wistrich, Robert. (1985). Hitler's Apocalypse: Jews and the Nazi Legacy. New York: St. Martin's Press.

Fundamentalism + apocalypticism + demonization (dualism) = Big Mess

Of course, Hitlers basic text was Aryanist mythology.

-cb

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Murray" <seamus2001 at home.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2001 1:38 AM Subject: Re: Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

<<SNIPS>>

> It's easy to say OBL [walkin' around with an MBA and a degree in
> economics] and others see the House of Saud as a bunch of wankers, but
> when you delve into how wealth is managed via the financial
> institutions in SA, Egypt, Bahrain, UAE, Yemen, Iran etc, you can
> trace, from the oil price "crisis" of the 70's a huge concern over how
> all those petrodollars were going to be diffused and invested in the
> ME. From what I got from the sources I tracked [which I'll list below]
> this set off a major crisis of Al'Quran exegesis because there is
> quite a bit PE maxims that Mohammed wrote into his book [he was what
> we would call a proprietary capitalist who saw his society suffering
> from affluenza and the "fear of falling"]. The nearest guess I can
> think of is comparing the 70's in the ME to the intense struggles over
> Biblical exegesis leading up to and during the English revolution
> [Christopher Hill's "The World Turned Upside Down"]
>
> Put simply, in addition to all those other aspects of ME states that
> don't live up to the ideals laid out in Al'Quran one could make the
> case that a very big beef that the ME networks of dissidents have is
> that the states listed above aren't measuring up when it comes to
> managing the wealth from oil when it comes to "Islamic finance."

<<SNIPS>>