Sociology and Explanations (Re: Hitchens responds to critics

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Sat Sep 29 14:31:43 PDT 2001

Hi,

OK. A serious answer.

First. Logical fallacies. Congruence in one element does not imply congruence in all elements. There is a nifty Latin name for this, but I am too lazy to look it up. It is a syllogistic error of the undistributed middle.

This represents false logic:

Terrorists want the US out of the Middle East.

US Leftists want the US out of the Middle East.

Therefore,

US Leftists are Terrorists.

See: http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/toc.htm

So that's where appreciating irony comes in. It is ironic that in opposing these terrorists we just happen to agree on some minor points.

The real question is: what is the most effective and ethical way to stop further terrorism while expanding equality and justice?

Unilateral unfocused US military action used as a form of revenge will not acheive either of these goals, and most likely will increase the potential for further terrorism while undermining the expansion of equality and justice.

The acts of terrorism, which where catastrophic and horrible, are not revolutionary acts, but appear to be coordinated by a network of fundamentalist Islamic supremacists that can accurately be called clerical fascists. We need to cooperate with more moderate elements in the Arab and Muslim world to bring these people to justice. We cannot do this if we engage in violent attacks in the Middle East, which will only force our potential partners into a situation where they have to oppose us.

-Chip

----- Original Message ----- From: "kelley" <kwalker2 at gte.net>