Chomsky Doesn't Chatter

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Sun Sep 30 15:06:07 PDT 2001

Sorry that I appear to have given you impetus to leave. I should add, though, that most moral theories that account for moral responsibility (a concept I don't believe in) do not discount intent. For instance, most consequentialist subscribe to some variant of "subjective consequentialism," which holds the agent responsible only for her initial calculation. Furthermore, determining ultimate consequences is for obvious reasons speculative in and of itself. Perhaps the bombing of the Sudanese pharmaceutical plant will actually promote the "greater good" in the long run. If that happens to be the case, is anyone willing to endorse it? I would hope not.

-- Luke

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Seay" <entheogens at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2001 11:46 AM Subject: Chomsky Doesn't Chatter