placing the palestinian struggle

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Mon Apr 1 07:18:32 PST 2002

> Everything I know about how U.S. power works internationally tells me
> that the U.S. marches to its own drummer, choosing policies that will
> sustain or enhance this country's wealth and/or power. Why in this
> case a domestic political lobby should take precedence over imperial
> interest is something that needs to be more rigorously explained than
> this.
>
> Doug

Agreed. As Chomsky has pointed out, the role of Israeli lobbies is largely overblown, for if it should ever be in the state interest of the US to cut Israel off, it will, lobbies notwithstanding. Blaming the lobbies for running US ME policy helps those who hold real power and make the real decisions. It borders on the conspiratorial, i.e., the "dark hand" that cunningly guides US actions from the shadows, and so on.

What I find amazing is that Bush/Cheney have been made relatively immobile by Israel's aggression. Apart from Bush's standard peeps about standing side-by-side with our valiant democratic ally, the administration seems truly confused about what to do. Are they really down for an all-out war between the US/Israel and the entire Arab world? I'm sure there's some dissent in the White House regarding this mad scenario, but I've seen little of it.

DP