rights, rights, and still more rights

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 10:45:02 PST 2002

>To say that a "rights regime" is a pragmatic rights
>regime is to dictate the proper conception of a
>"right," which is the precise subject of debate -- a
>theocracy of pragmatism as it were.

Not at all. It's to say that I don;t care to get into it--you can believe that rights were delivered by Zeus in a sidecar, Nozick can think that they inhere in The Objective Order, and I can think they are social conventions based in facts about conditions for fair cooperation. For the purposes of talking about which rights there are, we need not, and probably should not, discuss our views about their bases. --Yes, I know, we prags are infuriatingly banal and diffident. We picked up the trope from Rorty. I come by it honestly. He was my teacher.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx