The Oscars

Micheal Ellis onyxmirr at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 1 10:47:51 PST 2002

At 9:53 AM -0800 4/1/02, Thomas Seay wrote:
>That said, I found "Requiem" to be quite accurate.
>Drugs were not used to temporarily escape this reality
>or to gain some kind of insight. They were used to
>deny reality. However, not only were drugs used but so
>was television. The mother gets hooked on "speed"
>because she wants to lose weight in order to fit
>into a favorite dress, so that she could appear on
>some
>"trash" televsion show...an attempt to forget her
>loneliness.

i agree...i was just pointing out how it can be read. it can be interpreted a solely "anti drug" or whatever. i don't think the academy (from what i can discern from past patterns) derives any kind of subtleties such as your interpretation.

>I would say that the movie is not so much about drugs
>as it was about making pacts with the Devil to skirt
>around life....drugs, television and sex (I am not
>against either of the three) were the means used in
>the movie. The author could have used excessive
>jogging, gambling or any of a number of other
>passtimes.

yeah but using "drugs" and that lifestyle made it hip and more consumer friendly in the eyes of the academy. i'm not condeming the film at all but i don't think it would have been nominated if it were about excessive jogging etc.

~M.E.