rights, rights, and still more rights

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 1 12:05:05 PST 2002

>My point is as follows:
>
>You say that you do not care about someone's basis for
>a particular conception of a right.
>
>They say that the basis is the most important thing --
>the thing that makes something a right (couldeven be
>the right itself) is the value serviced by obedience.

?? I don't even understand this, so it is doubtful that I said it.

>I say that your pragmatic approach will never satisfy
>the true beleiver, whether he has a libertarian
>concpetion of rights, or she has a religious
>conception.

It will only fail to satisfy someone who insists that I believe what she regards as the truth for the right (i.e., her) reasons, that is, the fanatic.

>You say that is fine with you, as you are "a
>totalitarian democrat."
>
>However, I do not understand then how you can say "I
>don't even think that democracy needs justification."
>From the perspective of the true believer, you are
>saying "you must cede to the will of the majority even
>as to a propostion on which you know the majority is
>wrong." That is precise moment that you need a
>justification for democracy.

Not at all. If onefails to come along, will you give it up? For what? I mean,a justification would be nice to have, but democarcy is prior. Read the piece I posted. Anyway, you want a justification? Here it is, three parts, bana;, obviosu, and true: democracy is the fairest means of reaching fair and generally acceptable outcomes. Beyond that there is not a lot to be said. And yes, I am saying precisely that we must cede to the majority in a democracy even when the majority is wrong, perhaps even when it is obviously grossly and horribly immoral.

>As for the unwashed comment, it refers to those
>persons "out of the know" as to the proper governing
>principle and was not a class based reference.

Since I don't care what the proper governing principle is, count me among the great unwashed.

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx