placing the Palestinian struggle

Chris Kromm ckromm at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 1 19:49:23 PST 2002

Well, there are two levels to this argument, and neither hold a lot of water. The first is the assumption that there are significant differences in the motives of Demo and Repub support for Israeli aggression. I personally believe the differences are not that great. Both rely on a relentless discourse of racist sentiment that labels anything Arabs do as "terrorist." And both refuse to see Arabs as worthy to their claim for land. Those are the bottom-line issues, and the differences ain't big.

But the more important question is the second level: does a Palestinian refugee whose family is murdered by U.S.-made and Israeli-fired Hellfire missiles really care the fuck WHY the Democrat and Republican both voted for military aid to Israel to buy U.S. weapons?

Which, by the way, raises a more impersonal motive for U.S. support of atrocities: 66% of U.S. arms sold to Israel are made by Southern defense contractors, who in turn are the biggest campaign supporters of politicians in those states -- especially Georgia and Texas. Most of these arms sales were made shortly AFTER the signing of Clinton-era "peace talks," which of course shows how serious the Democrats were about pursuing peace. See the upcoming edition of Southern Exposure magazine for more details ...

- ----- Original Message ----- From: <ckromm at mindspring.com>
>The Palestinian struggle is perhaps the BEST example against your "Dems and
Repubs are
>different" line. Please, the weight of evidence and history are against you
on this one.

Since I posted a whole string of info about party differences on Palestine, dating from early support for the Palestinians from folks like David Bonior onward, I refer you to the archives. But my point here was not that Dems and Repugs don't both suport Israel generally, but that their reasons for doing so vary, which relates to the fact that the US support for Israel is based on multiple reasons with differences mixes at particular times.

- -- nathan Newman