Oil as a weapon

pms laflame at aaahawk.com
Mon Apr 1 20:03:28 PST 2002

Iran to "consider" using oil as weapon against US over Israel

KUALA LUMPUR (AFX-ASIA) - Iran will consider using oil as a weapon to force the US to pressure Israel into withdrawing from Palestinian territory, Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharazi said.

Responding at a news conference to a proposal floated by Iraq Monday, Kharazi said the use of Arab oil to turn the screws on the US and Israel will depend on a collective decision by Islamic countries.

"If they decide to use oil as a weapon, certainly Iran will consider it. It will be effective if all Muslim countries would take such a decision," he said on the sidelines of an Organisation of the Islamic Conference meeting on terrorism.

Iraq's ruling Baath party on Monday called on Arab countries to use their oil power against Israel and the US to ensure the liberation of Palestinian land.

Arab oil producers, who account for half of world supplies, have not used the oil card since the 1973 crisis, despite repeated calls by Iraq and others to do so.

Baath branded the US "an enemy and a partner of Zionism," and alleged that the Israeli military offensive in the Palestinian territories "was mounted in joint agreement with the American administration."

Washington dismissed Baghdad's call as "random musings".

Deputy State Department spokesman Philip Reeker said the idea is not being taken seriously in the Arab world.

"I just don't have anything on random musings from the Iraqi regime," Reeker told reporters when asked about Iraq's call.

"I don't think the Arab world takes that seriously," he added.

/jg For more information and to contact AFX: www.afxnews.com and www.afxpress.com Copyright 2002 AFX News Ltd.

© Copyright 2002, The Nasdaq Stock Market, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Please read our Disclaimer, Trademarks, and Privacy Statement.