Food Is, Still, Clearly Not a Human Right -

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 2 22:23:59 PST 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> --
> ===============

<<<> There you go again. Yes, a Shweickartian PE is compatible with liberal democracy in some possible world--and lets not haggle over Kripkean/Lewis issues for the moment--but do you really think the Rumsfelds, Roves, Hormats, Winfrey's etc.of the world are going to let you have it without an immense loss of life?>>>

I've been asking this question over and over again on this list practically as long as the list has existed -- and I've asked it in sweet tones as well as gruff, biting, & slanderous tones. No one really seems to want to deal with it seriously.

My answer of course is No. Even if the non-violent strategists are correct, and we don't need or shouldn't use violence ourselves, still there is a river of blood between us and any possible non-capitalist future -- or any capitalist future not dominated by the U.S. How many people will be willing to die (often painfully) while practicing non-violence.

Elections are simply out of the question when it comes to _seriously_ damaging the power of capital, let alone dissolving it.

We won't be the first or the last species to die out.

Carrol