NYU's Kevorkian Center: Middle Eastern Film Series

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Wed Apr 3 08:11:09 PST 2002

-------- Original Message --------

NYU's Kevorkian Center, Dept. of Middle Eastern Studies, & Center for Media, Culture & History present friday | april 5, 2002 | 4-6 pm Kevorkian Building | W.4th @ Sullivan St.

A Middle Eastern Film Series In the wake of 9/11/01, we will be presenting biweekly screenings & discussions dealing with timely topics. NOT IN MY GARDEN A film directed by Shiri Wilk (Israel, 2000, 49 minutes) Arabic and Hebrew with English subtitles

Not in My Garden is the first film produced by Video '48, a video group devoted to making films about the lives of Palestinians inside Israel. Nir Nader of Hanitzotz Publishing House and the founder of Video '48 has explained the impetus for the group: "Video '48 deals with documentation and education. The Palestinian question and that of Arabs in Israel are the main concerns of our group. We want to unveil the racist practices of Israel, whether in the Occupied Territories or in Israel itself. In one place they shoot with guns, in the other with laws. In both cases, Palestinian society suffers. We want to side with those who will change this reality." Not in My Garden is a documentary about Ramya, an unrecognized Bedouin village in the Galilee; in 1991, the villagers of Ramya were ordered to give up all of their land so that the nearby city of Carmiel could build a "neighborhood of new immigrants." By focusing on Ramya and Carmiel, the film shows the quotidian manifestations of David Ben-Gurion's policy of "judaizing" the Galilee.