rights, rights, and still more rights, duties, obligations, powers, freedoms

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 3 13:15:18 PST 2002

--- Charles Brown <CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us> w

> My impression ( from Chris Doss in part) is that
> the Russian and former Soviet masses are much more
> philosophical than the American.

Wasn't this true even before the 1917 revolution though? One certainly gets that impression from reading, say, Dostoevesky and the characters he portrays. The russian people (I hate the word "masses", reminds me of that glutinous macaroni and cheese they served in elementary school) throughout history appear to be rather philosophical.

> I don't know about
> France. Seems the approach in the SU was more
> popularization of philosophy than in the U.S.

Really? The funny thing I notice about most of the people I have met from the former SU, East Bloc, and China is that they know damn little about Marx. In the case of my wife (Chinese), she was force-fed Mao (guess that's what you call popularization) and my russian colleagues seem to know damn little about Marx but they do know a little about Lenin.

-Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx